Saturday, April 16, 2011

Shower in a Bucket? No Problem for this Bolder Champion


Challenge: Master the 4 Minute Shower
Sponsor: Nature's Gate [ See All Actions Here ]
Galen's Action: "I'm in, I used to bucket shower for months, I can do it right? Also going to try the shower w a friend strategy!"

The bucket shower comes from when I was living in Amman, and the water situation there makes you want to cry. 50% of the water coming in to the city is lost because the water infrastructure is so poorly maintained. Water is also so inexpensive that is it cheaper to let your toilet run or faucet drip than to fix it, so no one does. I heard estimates that if Amman doesn't reduce their water use, they will deplete their aquifers by 2020. What! Yes, water, gone, 2020.

I was there working on a community recycling venture, and we also had some urban gardens going. We would stand in buckets while we showered and catch all of the water, then we would pour it on our gardens (Dr Bronners all natural soap only). I don't have any pics from the shower, but I attached one from the gardens.



I also want to say how pumped I am to be a Bolder champion! I look forward to every new challenge and looking at all the cool actions people take. I like that often they are actions we take already, but Bolder give us a place to share them with like-minded people. I am sure I was bold before Bolder, but it helps me stay bold and remember the importance of all the small things we do in our daily lives.

I also discover great new brands. In fact, I am all decked out in my Prana gear that I never would have found if they hadn't run the "inspiration" challenge and posted that truly inspiring video of Chris Sharma! Bolder is by far my favorite online community, keep that awesome challenges coming, especially another Prana one, I could use a new hoodie :)

by Galen Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment