Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Boldest Action Winner: Erin S makes lunch a picnic because... why not?


Category: Environment
Challenge: Eat outside under a tree
Sponsor: ALITE
Action: I just ate my sandwich under a tree in my backyard. Then I picked an apple from said tree and ate it. Boom.

Erin's Thoughts:
I have definitely been a lifelong fan of the picnic, and am usually harassing my friends to head to the park with me to enjoy some food and fun in the sunshine on the weekends. During the week, however, I have been neglecting outdoor eating and opting for eating at my desk while a stare at a computer. And I often see my co-workers do the same.

I recently moved to the bay area and I am currently living in a place with a backyard for the first time in many years. And not just any backyard, but a backyard filled with fruit trees, vegetable plants, flowers, and inviting lawn furniture. However, I realized when the "eat outside under a tree" challenge was posted that I hadn't once eaten outside in my beautiful new backyard, and that I was severly underutilizing the free fruit available. So, that very day I ate my sandwich under an apple tree and enjoyed the fruit afterwards. Since then I have made it a point to eat a few meals a week outside if possible, and to at least venture out to the yard and pick the fruit. Currently enjoying: pomegranite season.

I hope to enjoy many more meals outside, whether it be in a park near my office during the week, or in my backyard on weekends. I encourage other Bolder members to get out and get their daily dose of Vitamin D as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment