Friday, November 5, 2010

Boldest Action Winner: Michelle O packs two waste free lunches a day!


Category: Environment
Challenge: Pack a waste free lunch
Sponsor: ReUsies
Action: I pack my children their lunches in reusable sandwich wraps and containers

Michelle O's Thoughts
Packing a waste free lunch for my sons helps on so many different levels. First, it is just the right thing to do. Creating waste is not good for us, the earth or future generations. Second, it is financially much cheaper. We are not wasting money on plastic baggies or plastic wrap. Third, it is setting a good example for my children. They will learn the importance of conservation and healthy living.

My son is in first grade and I started this year with packing his lunch in reusable wraps and trying to make it waste free. The challenge is being organized enough to make sure the wraps are clean and ready to go for the next day. I sometimes make up for this by buying a few more wraps. If you can not do that, a good way to create biodegradable waste is to buy butcher/deli paper and wrap the sandwiches in that. As far as snacks I use reusable containers... I want to find something better, but until then, I just reuse the Tupperware.

See the picture of my beautiful boys, who are my inspirations to be a better person every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment