Friday, December 17, 2010

Boldest Action Winner: Jerred R extracts himself from the grind with a 76.2 mile hike!


Category: Health and Fitness
Challenge: Go for a hike
Sponsor: Oboz Footwear with Trees for the Future
Action:
Hiked the 76.2 mile Foothills Trail in South Carolina in 5 days. What a great experience

My hiking/camping buddy Jeff and I decided to do the Foothills Trail in SC because we had always talked about doing it but just never did. Well, at 39 years old we decided that we had better start doing some of the things we have talked about because we are not getting any younger. So, we got together one Saturday afternoon and started planning the hike. We decided to hike the trail in 5 days only because of limited time off from work that both of us could get. I would recommend to others to take longer because we did not get to stop and enjoy nature as much as we would have liked due to time constraints.

Hiking the 15 miles per day had some challenges to it. Both of us are probably in the best shape of our lives due to both us starting a running program about 12 months before the hike but carrying a 30 pound pack and climbing up and down some of the terrain took the energy right out of you. Also, after the first day, my feet went south and if it were not for the "mole" skin and tape, I don't think I could have made it. I had one of the best experiences of my life out on the trail. Even though I was struggling with my feet for most of the trip, I really had a "mountain top" experience with nature. All the cares of my life seemed to wash away and I just enjoyed being outdoors. Actually, I was depressed for a couple of days when I got back home from the hike. Funny how life can grind on you and you not even know it until you are removed from it. As we came out of the woods at the end of the trail I felt a real sense of accomplishment and exhilaration at having completed this journey. It is an experience that I will never forget and am wanting to plan an even longer trip next time. I hope others will be inspired and will take on a "bold" act themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment