Saturday, May 14, 2011

Nothing Says Recess Like Cartwheels


Challenge: Take a 15 minute recess
Sponsor: Keen [ See All Actions Here ]
Katrina's Action: "Went for a brisk walk around the nearby public gardens, then threw in some cartwheels for good measure. Talk about feeling like a kid again!"

I walked around the public gardens outside of the Phipps Conservatory in an area called Oakland in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Oakland is the part of town where the University of Pittsburgh campus is.

It felt so freeing to let loose and take a flying sideways leap onto the grass. You can't help but laugh after you've tried to do a cartwheel and failed miserably. As I kept trying I think I got better, but it's hard to tell without someone there to tell you if it actually looked like a cartwheel. Okay, so if I had really succeeded, I think I would have known.

Lately I've been looking for ways to insert some silliness into my days and feel a little like a kid again. Call it a quarter-life crisis. ;) Seriously, though, it makes your day so much brighter to laugh at yourself a little and make others smile. My hour-long lunch break outside gets me through the rest of my day. It's so wonderful to soak up some sun and feel the wind on your face ...and look at something real for a little while, i.e. not a computer screen.

Thanks, KEEN and Bolder, for inspiring us all to take a few minutes out of our day for fun and renewal! Let's re-institute recess everyday and everywhere!

1 comment: