Monday, October 25, 2010

Boldest Action Winner: Kati J's 2' x 2' prolific urban garden


Category: Environment
Challenge: Go Organic
Sponsor: Gaiam
Action: We have a 2'x2' deck off my SF apt. we have 6 tomato plants, 1 lemon tree, catnip, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, a basil plant.

Kati's Thoughts:
The story goes that before i moved to San Francisco, I lived in Cleveland where I had a fantastic little garden. I dragged wave washed stones from the Lake Erie shore to line the garden, and had the most amazing eggplant of my life. After i moved to the San Francisco, I lived in an apartment where I had no room for plants, not even a window ledge herb garden.

Since I moved in with my boyfriend, he had a the little deck area that was begging to be utilized. we decided some wine barrels cut in half would be enough acreage for this little apartment. Chris wanted a lemon tree in one barrel, and I knew I could grow tomatoes in the other. One thing lead to another and a $100 bucks later I had rosemary, thyme, chives, basil, two kinds of sage, lavender and cat nip for a special kitty. The best part was getting four more tomato plants from a friend who had too many. We've made pasta sauce twice now, chives for every omelet, tomatoes for salad, and sage on our butternut squash last night! Mmm.. its so rewarding to know you can grow even the smallest amount of food, in a small space. Viva la urban gardeners!

No comments:

Post a Comment