Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Boldest Action Winner: Heather H makes a full recovery, using pedal power!


Category: Health and Fitness
Challenge: Bike to Work
Sponsor: Zambikes
Action: I started biking to work after I recovered from some back problems, I'm now into touring, don't own a car, and I've never been healthier!

Heather's Thoughts:
Looking back on it now it seems I have always been a cyclist. I rent bikes when I travel, I grew up always having a bike at hand, it turned into the trusty back-up to get to work when I had the transit blues. Over the years I learned to take not just my bike, but my ability to ride, for granted. That is until my world was shaken up by a back injury, a slipped disc, which left me thinking my next wheels would be attached to a chair. I spent the better part of 2007 on the couch trying to figure out how I got there. Wasn’t I too young to have this happen?!

After spending way too much time in doctor’s offices, I was finally on the road to recovery and had to accept some fault for the situation. Somewhere along the way I had stopped moving! I spent the better part of my days on my ass whether it was on transit, at the office, out for dinner, watching a movie… I had become, gasp: lazy! Realizing a full recovery was within my grasp, it didn't take long before I saw the answer- sitting on the patio, covered in dust and cobwebs. I figured my office wasn't very far, not even 4 miles, I could easily bike that on nice days.

That was spring of 2008; I was recovering from what had threatened to be a permanent disability when I got back on my bike. It was innocent enough at first, biking to and from work on sunny days, maybe an evening jaunt around the seawall or a ride to a friend’s house. Within a matter of weeks public transit started to feel so incredibly squishy and what was that smell?! I naturally turned to my bike more and more often. I become addicted to the fresh air, the freedom, but most of all the daily reminder that I can, and like to, move!!

Two years later, I'm living daily life on my bike and I’ve never been happier. Cycling isn’t just a mode of transportation but it’s my hobby, my entertainment, it makes a bad day better, it provides challenge and comfort simultaneously. I can't imagine a healthier or more fun addiction to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment