Thursday, January 27, 2011

Turning the Corner With a Salad? Boo J's Health Journey

Challenge: Add leafy greens to a meal
Sponsor: Purely Elizabeth [ See Challenge Here ]
Action: Been a while since I've logged on. As a kid I hated greens. This challenge is a good reminder of what I should've been doing years ago.

Boo's Thoughts:
First off I'd like to say that I found Bolder right at the time when I really started taking my health seriously. Although the rewards from the challenges provide a great incentive, I participate in them because it helps me keep on track.

The "Add Leafy Greens to A Meal" caught my eye because growing up I just did not like the taste of vegetables. I was that kid who excused himself to go to the bathroom, just so I could spit up my vegetables. I never had a taste for vegetables and cruised into my adulthood without eating a whole lot of them.

Last year my health came into question and I had to make a decision on how I wanted to live my life. Change my diet and add cardiovascular exercise to my routine or risk getting high-blood pressure and pancreatitis. If I couldn't change things, I was told that I would be put on medication, which I did not want. I knew that my condition could be regulated if not reversed, without the use of pharmaceuticals. The first moment I had, I borrowed my brother's bike and started riding as much as possible. My diet also had to change. So I cut down on fried foods and began incorporating whole grains. Most importantly, being an adult, I put aside my childish prejudice towards vegetables and started making and buying salads.

I didn't try anything new greens for the challenge, but I am opening up to the prospect of new vegetable combinations. My sister makes a great salad with arugula figs and cherry tomatoes. A friend of mine is really big on chia, so I'd like to make a salad that incorporates that.

My health journey has taught me a bunch of things. One thing that comes to mind is that it is possible to turn things around and the littlest thing, like eating a salad can be the one thing that helps you turn that corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment