Monday, August 23, 2010

Boldest action winner: Jesse M gains temporary fame for bringing his own bags!


Challenge: Say no to a disposable bag at checkout
Challenge Sponsor: Rickshaw Bags
Jesse's Action: The checkout girl at Safeway was so excited I was using a backpack that she announced it over the intercom
Bold Votes: 11

Jesse's Thoughts:
Using your own bag for groceries is the way to go. It's more or less a necessity for me because I'm either biking to the grocery store or taking my moped (see pic) and there's absolutely no sensible way to be carrying plastic bags while trying to stay alive on the streets of SF. Carrying my own bag is also great because it limits what I buy to just the necessities... Beer. Only joking, but it really forces me to plan out what I am buying because I don't have all kinds of extra room. As a result I save money and don't end up wasting food that goes bad before I can eat it.

In addition to everything above - sometimes bringing your own bag even gets you some temporary fame. The girl at the checkout counter at Safeway was in a phenomenal mood and was so happy I said no to plastic that she announced it over the intercom. If you always forget to bring a reusable bag to the store, try keeping one near the front door so you see it as you exit or next to your keys or something. I always remember to bring mine when I see it sitting next to my moped helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment