Thursday, September 23, 2010

Boldest Action Winner: Bring your lunch better with Jen O

Category: Health and Fitness
Challenge: Bring your Lunch
Sponsor: Blue Avocado
Action: Made pizza dough & piled 3 pizzas with local veggies & fruits (incl. pears picked from my family's trees). Lunch leftovers for the BF & me!

Jen's Thoughts:
It all started a few years ago when I planned to make pizzas for dinner at my college house in Santa Cruz. I made the dough, and my room mates contributed with what ever they found fit. We made 5 pizzas that night, one for each girl living in the house. It was such a fun group experience and a great way to clear out the fridge of all its uneaten veggies that we turned pizza night into a weekly event. Leftovers were eaten for breakfast or lunch the next day. I still make pizzas regularly and am always sure to make enough for later. Who doesn't love a slice of cold pizza?

The best thing about cooking at home, aside from the pure satisfaction of tasting one of your creations, is that you know what exactly goes into the food you put into your mouth. There are no hidden servings of butter and no nuts or types of shellfish that you might be allergic to because you don't include them in the dish. You learn new skills, can bond with friends, and save a heck of a lot of money. Want my advice? Start by making something quick and simple for dinner (I like carefree meals that involve throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the pot), save some for tomorrow's lunch, find a container that can house it, and take it with you the next day. Have a picnic in the park if you feel so inclined. Don't forget your fork!

No comments:

Post a Comment